Outdoor activities, including the use of local government-owned dog parks, are not prohibited by the Mandatory Order COVID-19 as long as the ability to use them is in a location and manner that ensures you can maintain a distance of at least 2 metres from others. All are reminded to observe the directives and advice contained in the Order and provided by the Chief Medical Officer of Health.
For further clarification:
In determining if a local government-owned dog park should be opened to the public, paragraph 10 advises that the responsibility of the owners and occupiers of any building or land on which persons may gather will take all reasonable steps to prevent gatherings. For greater clarity: owners and occupiers must take all reasonable steps to ensure persons on their premises do not come within 2 metres of each other, except members of the same household or bubble, or except for work purposes.
For greater clarity, the following measures might help owners and operators meet the requirements of the Order. These are suggestions.
- Post signage at entrances clarifying that individuals are to maintain a distance of 2 metres, that gatherings are not permitted, and that a person must not enter the premises if they exhibit symptoms or have travelled outside New Brunswick in the previous 14 days;
- Take steps to minimize, and where possible, eliminate the potential for individuals to interact within 2 m of each other, such as through physical spacing or temporary barriers;
- Ensure on a continuous basis the availability of hand washing stations (providing either soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer). Outdoor recreational spaces should provide access to hand washing stations or hand sanitizer that are vandalism-proof, as appropriate.
- Trash containers for discarding trash, tissues and personal protective equipment (e.g., masks and gloves), which may otherwise become a public health hazard, should be available.
- Ensure on a continuous basis the availability of cleaning and disinfection supplies and that owners/managers clean and disinfect all frequently touched objects and surfaces, including communal amenities (e.g. keypads, water fountains, restrooms, gates, door handles, waste disposal units, etc.).
- Owners/operators could consider having a process in place for periodical monitoring or checks by officials.
In the event that the owners or occupiers of any land feel that they cannot ensure compliance to paragraph 10, they must take steps to prevent access.
Please keep in mind that numerous activities typically available in parks are not permitted under paragraph 5 of the Order. These include the use of swimming pools, waterparks, playgrounds with playground equipment, and campgrounds.
For more resources to help keep your community safe, please visit www.gnb.ca/coronavirus.