- The Government of Canada also announced that it will be taking the following measures to support both employers and employees:
- Waiving the one-week waiting period for people who are in quarantine or have been directed to self-isolate and are claiming Employment Insurance sickness benefits. Information on eligibility criteria and the application process can be found here.
- Enhancements to the Work-Sharing Program to help employers who are experiencing a downturn in business due to COVID-19, and their workers. Information on the Work-Sharing Program can be found here.
- Income support for those who are not eligible for Employment Insurance sickness benefits is also being explored.
- For more information on additional federal government support available to your business and workers, contact Service Canada at 1-800-OCanada (1-800-622-6232).
- Canada’s regional development agencies, including the Atlantic Opportunities Agency, has also announced support is available for small or medium-sized businesses impacted by the sudden shifts in the economy, and those who need pressing assistance, including:
- Access to federal funding to help you stay in business.
- Advice and pathfinding services to other federal programs and services online.
- Contact: ACOA – 1-800-561-4030.
- The federal government has announced temporary income support for workers and parents without paid sick leave as well as longer-term income support for workers. Low- and modest-income families which may require additional financial help may apply for a one-time special payment through a GST credit. Families with children will be eligible for increased Canada Child Benefit payment amounts. For more information on these federal measures:
- Canada Revenue Agency Accounts and Payments (individuals); 1-800-959-8281 (e); 1-800-959-7383 (f).
- Canada Revenue Agency Accounts and Payments (business); 1-800-959-5525 (e); 1-800-959-7775 (f).
- Child Benefit and GST credit; 1-800-387-1193 (e); 1-800-387-1194 (f).
- Employment Insurance: To apply for EI benefits, visit their website. After that, individuals may apply to have the one-week waiting period waived by calling the government's toll-free number at 1-833-381-2725, or teletypewriter at 1-800-529-3742.
- Emergency Care benefit and Emergency support benefit: Both benefit plans will be open for application in April, through the Canada Revenue Agency website.
- Business Financing / liquidity: Finance Canada general enquiries 1-613-369-3710; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Export Development Canada general line 1-800-229-0575.
- Business Development Bank of Canada general line 1-877-232-2269.